Tuesday, September 8, 2009

REVIEW- The Stettheimer Dollhouse by Sheila W. Clark

Title: The Stettheimer Dollhouse
Author:
Sheila W. Clark
Date: 2009

Carrie Stettheimer constructed her dollhouse between 1916 and 1935, decorating the rooms in a then-modern fashion and acquiring miniature artwork and sculptures designed for the dollhouse by prominent artists. The book outlines the history of the dollhouse and each room is described and photographed in detail. At the end of the book, there are close-ups of the art created for the house along with information about the works and their artists.


I saw the house in person at he Museum of the City of New York, and I now wish that I had this book before. I'm a fan of miniatures and there's no denying that the house is exceptional, but the background about the art, Carrie Stettheimer, and the rooms' interior design make me appreciate it even more. I hadn't realized how accurately it modeled the interior design trends of 1920s New York or what an extraordinary miniature art gallery it possessed. My other wish is that the book had been larger, allowing for bigger photographs of the house. Overall, it's a lovingly compiled and informative book about a lovingly created and historically significant dollhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment