Monday, September 14, 2009

REVIEW- Selected Crônicas by Clarice Lispector

Title: Selected Crônicas
Author: Clarice Lispector, translated by Giovanni Pontiero
Publication Date: 1984

I hadn't heard of Clarice Lispector until a few weeks ago, when I read that the revered Brazilian writer was the subject of a new biography. Her books can be difficult to find in the US, and since Selected Cr
ônicas was the only one in my library system, it became my introduction to Lispector's work. Although it contained insightful, philosophical writing, I think I might have preferred one of her novels.

In the preface, translator Giovanni Pontiero explains that the crô
nica is "a genre peculiar to Brazil which allows poets and writers to address a wider readership on a vast range of topics and themes." These writings are usually informal and brief. Lispector wrote her crônicas for a Brazilian newspaper between 1967 and 1973 and included ruminations on varied subjects such as her childhood, family, travels, and occupation as a writer. Lispector is provoked and inspired by the most mundane events--a stranger who smiles at her, getting her hair cut, having a conversation with a taxi driver, reminiscing about her children. Autobiographical and deeply introspective, Lispector's writings also frequently examine the themes of identity and mortality.

The crônicas can be interesting, but given their short nature, I often wondered what else Lispector had to say on her many subjects. The longest of these works is only a few pages in length, with the majority lasting less than a page. I was occasionally frustrated as it seemed that Lispector could have gone on much longer, exploring her vast and complicated themes. I look forward to reading one of her novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment